B.U.F.C. Bulletin

Hammering it Between the Sticks

Victory beat Hammers 3-0

starting 11

It was one of those matches where the final score didn’t do the play of United justice as Bellingham United FC fell to Vancouver Victory FC 3-0 on Sunday, May 31, at Civic Stadium in Bellingham, Wash. United fought hard and gave themselves plenty of goal scoring opportunities. The level of play from United was one that head coach Lance Calloway was impressed with and looks to build on for the remainder of the season.

“We set ourselves up for some great opportunities,” Calloway said. “I was really proud with how the boys came back and created what should have been goals in the second half.”

Victory got on the board early in the 11’ as a strong shot deflected off the United goalie and bounced off another United defender and into the net. The score was almost evened when United got a free kick from just outside of the penalty box, but Nick Cashmere’s shot bounced off the right post.

With just under five minutes to play in the half Alex Nimo played the ball beautifully, beating United’s defense to put the Victory up 2-0 as the teams went into the locker room.

United came out for the second half charged up and began to take the run of play, creating multiple goal scoring opportunities. In the 55’ United moved the ball with precision in the box and a shot by Brendan Quilici snuck past the Victory’s goalie, however one of their defenders came sliding in to block the shot.

A questionable call came in the 60’ when Robbie Tice got whistled for a tackle and the referee issued him his second yellow card, resulting in a red card and game ejection which forced United to play with a man down.

“Despite the disappointing call, credit to the remaining 10 guys we had on the pitch,” Calloway said. “They stepped up and worked hard, we actually still had a lot of the run of play and created chances on goal.”

United’s goalkeeper, Avery Miller played a heck of a match and made some clutch saves down the stretch.

“Miller came up with some big saves for us in the second half when we were down numbers,” Calloway said. “He was very composed back there and I was pleased with how he performed.”

However, in the 80’ the Victory got behind United’s defense once again as Timur Zhividze found Broce Atanasov free at the top of the box who then blasted the ball past the keeper for the 3-0 lead.

“I’m proud of the way the boys worked hard today,” Calloway said. “The result does not reflect the game.”

Bellingham United will get back to the pitch next Sunday, June 7, as they will take on Wenatchee United FC on the road. The match is set to start at 6 p.m., make sure to keep up with United’s Facebook page for live game updates.

Leave a Reply